Wednesday, May 11, 2011

"Como se dice __________ en ingles?"

Today was my first day at the school and I loved it! I'm a little tired, I must admit, but I absolutely loved the school! Yesterday was Mothers Day here in Guatemala so there was no school, only a program that was put on for the moms of the students. Then today the teachers that are moms didn't come to school since they were celebrating mothers day. The schools celebrate every holiday, making the amount of time the students learn significantly less, but that is just how it works. To do a quick overview of my last few days here I went with Oscar out to a village about 30 minutes from Sumpango to help out at a program he has partnered with there called "Mano con Mano." God is doing so many great things through the program for the children and the families of the village! It was so awesome to see! Hopefully I will be able to go back and help in the afternoons after I get settled in at the school.
The program feeds malnourished children of the village. 

The children love to have their picture taken and then look at it on the camera :)
Then on Tuesday at the program at the school a woman from the church was able to share the gift of salvation with the mothers which, again, was so amazing to see! God is just doing great things here in Guatemala through Oscar and his family and Los Olivos Church!

Mothers Day program, the seats were filled!
And onto today, the school was so fun! Due to the fact that the mothers stayed home today the schedule was different than I thought and rather than having first and second graders I was with the fourth, fifth and sixth graders. Talk about an opportunity to allow God to take the reigns! I had barely anything prepared, the teachers had no idea what they wanted me to teach and left the room in my hands, and still I am in one piece. In all honestly it was completely God in me, not me at all. The children were so fun though! I heard "como se dice _____ en ingles?" more times than I can count! But it was a fun day. Once again another amazing experience! Then on the way back from the school I rode in one of the buses (not the chicken buses don't worry:)) and did not know how to explain where to go. I ended up riding in the little bus for a while telling the students and driver different words in English. Finally, I just told the driver to drop me off at the market since I knew my way from there. I made it safely back to a lunch of spaghetti! Now just to plan out what my lesson will be tomorrow! Now I know the grade and know that I will be completely in charge for 45 minutes so hopefully I will be a little bit more prepared. Either way God came through today so I'm not too worried. There will be more pictures to come, I just keep forgetting my camera!

P.S. I never knew Lindsey was so hard to say! In each class we spent about five minutes just going over how my name is pronounced! :)

1 comment:

  1. did you have to ask where the bathroom was? :-) so how do you say Lindsey - Lindseya?
    Prov 3:5-6

    ReplyDelete