Friday, June 24, 2011

"Wherever you are-be all there." - Jim Elliot

This quote by Jim Elliot has been my prayer during my time here in Guatemala but especially is my prayer as I go into my last week here. It's easy to lose sight of what the Lord desires us to see when we are too focused on things to come or things that have happened so my desire is to not get distracted and to spend my last week completely here! With that said let's go over what I have been doing the last week or so :)
Playing (and winning) basketball against a church from Wisconsin. I played with Los Olivos! And during the soccer game I even scored a goal! :)

The second typical outfit I got as a gift from Karla and Oscar! 

God has blessed my time down here tremendously, allowing me to experience and see so many new and different things! To name a few I have been able to translate for multiple groups, I have experienced multiple "Teacher's Day" parties, I have run a Guatemalan marathon (which was actually a 4k), and I have seen over 250 children learn English words that they had never heard before I came. But one thing that can never be forgotten is that without our gracious Lord none of this would have been possible, especially seeing children really learn English!
Some of my students at the school :) Love them all!
Perfect view of one of the volcanoes

One thing that I absolutely love about Sumpango is the kindness of the people. I have experienced first-hand what it really looks like to be selfless, to think of others as better than yourself. Here in Sumpango and within Los Olivos the people are truly selfless. With what little they may have they choose to give it to someone else (for example me) rather than asking those that may look wealthier (for example me) for money. They don't allow you to pay either when it comes to trying to buy things on your own, I have learned that no matter how much you offer you are the guest so they will NOT let you pay. It has touched my heart to experience this love and kindness, especially since the people that give give from a gracious heart, not dragging their feet every step of the way. They give out of what little they have and expect nothing in return; just think of the difference it could make if, in the US where we have been blessed abundantly with money, we could learn to give and expect nothing in return! I'm thinking it would do a mighty work for our Savior!
Finishing my "marathon" in clothes that are not mine and shoes that are not mine, but in second place for the women! So clearly there is a long story behind this race, too long for this blog, but I think this picture explains enough... 

So as my time here continues in this beautiful city I am reminded again of just how amazing our God is. Whether it be attempting to sing in Spanish, translating full conversations when a month ago I could barely speak a proper sentence, or just sitting quietly before the Lord listening to the rain I can feel the Holy Spirit alive and working. I can't say enough just how blessed I am and how great God is! Take a careful, close look at the pictures and you too will be able to see the great blessings of our Savior! :)
Some of the students working hard on the finger paintings of animals

1 comment:

  1. This is Ashley Volk (Kennedy) again...using my husband's account lol.

    I just want you to know that I really enjoy reading your blog,it encourages and lifts my spirit. I don't know if it is simply because I am in a place in my life where I am not able to be overseas or do foreign mission work, but it is very uplifting to be able to read about and pray over your experiences there, thank you for posting your blog. Praying for you gives me the opportunity to feel a "part" of missions overseas!

    ReplyDelete