Thursday, June 2, 2011

Queremos paz! No mas violencia!

"Can you live in peace? The answer is in your hands."
It's June! Crazy! I am quite convinced that time goes by faster here in Guatemala than it does in Wisconsin, but either way, everyday here has been such a blessing from God. The students continue to say "hello" and "goodbye" every time they see me, although I'm not too difficult to spot here with my blond hair and white skin! I absolutely love teaching in the school and seeing the love and joy that the students have no matter what their situations may be. Everyday I am showered with gifts of stickers, erasers, and many many kisses! I can only pray that the students are learning as the classes are huge and I only have 35 minutes in each class. Each day I am learning more and more about how to be a more efficient, successful teacher; experience really is the best teacher!
Some of the students hard at work :)


One day a student came into the class with a baby bird in a cup!
They never cease to surprise me!

This past Friday I participated in a walk for peace with the school. The students joined with two other schools to walk around Sumpango chanting, singing, and waving banners about peace. It was so fun to be part of this walk and such a blessing to see the students so involved! Although, in all honesty, not every student was chanting the correct words as we walked. The third grade boys decided it would be funny to chant, "Queremos queso!" (We want cheese!) or, "Queremos agua!" (We want water!) instead of "We want peace!" like they were supposed to chant. It was quite entertaining until their teacher heard them, and then that was the end of that fun :) But overall it was a great reason for the students to walk and ended up being a very successful day!
Walking the streets promoting peace in white shirts!
The children love posing for the pictures, but don't have the
patience to hold the  pose until the picture is done. 
The first graders carried balloons!

As for what the Lord is teaching me I can't even put it into words! He has shown me so much about His love, grace, power, everything really! As much as it may seem that I am here to teach the children our gracious Father is really using the children to teach me. As I walked around the room in one of the classes today my mind wandered from the task at hand to how little each of these children have in terms of material objects and in terms of education. The amazing thing is that despite their lack of education, their lack of resources, and their lack of stability in life they have the faith and love that God desires each one of us to have. "And he said, 'Truly I tell you unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.'" Matthew 18:3
Notice the blue teeth! :) 

Some of the beautiful girls I have been blessed to teach!
So as I venture into my days here I am filled with the love of Jesus Christ and with the love of these beautiful children. I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store as I continue my teaching and my time here in Guatemala!

2 comments:

  1. great job! it's good to see and hear all that you are doing and all that God is doing through you! i'm praying for you as you now have to work with those grengos coming there:-) love ya!

    ReplyDelete